Snowboard Gear

Let’s Talk Lids: The Importance of Helmets

1. Until my recent Whistler trip I ALWAYS wore a helmet. On this last trip I decided to wear one only if I was hitting glades, and wore a toque if I was only hitting groomers. Probably not the smartest idea, I know. But my current helmet is losing its appeal. I think I need a new one..

Posted by Adam | February 7, 2009, 10:29 am
  2. I can’t imagine riding without my helmet. Everytime I go out there is at least one incident in which my helmet saves my brains from getting rattled.

Posted by Tom B | February 9, 2009, 11:12 am
  3. My helmet keeps my head warm, and my brain safe. The choice seems obvious to me. I’ve had a few falls where I very well could have died had I not been wearing a helmet, and it never feels like a burden to me to strap it on every morning. I’ll chuck it on my backpack if I’m touring or bootpacking and get too warm, but as soon as I’m about to ride I put it back on. Be safe!

Posted by Karilyn @ The Stoke | February 10, 2009, 3:30 am
  4. Wow, I always wear my helmet. I fall basically once on each vacation. Back in the days without, I fell back on my head and I saw a checkerboard screen on impact. Like something the Terminator would see inside his head. I had a killer headache all night…

Yup, always wear the helmet. Plus, its a great surface to customize with stickers or a sharpie!

Posted by MickR | February 10, 2009, 3:55 pm
  5. At the insistance of an ex-gf, I picked up a helmet. A few weeks later, I caught my heel-side edge with my back facing down the mountain and planted hard on the base of my skull. It gave me a good rattle, but I can’t imagine how bad it would’ve been without the helmet.

The helmet I got was the R.E.D. Shaun White, it was on sale and quite comfortable and warm. I later installed some headphones, an upgrade I’d recommend. 😉

Posted by Erik | February 11, 2009, 1:39 pm
  6. I usually only wear my helmet if I’m going to be riding park, or if it’s super cold. I don’t like it though, the R.E.D. Trace, too bulky. I’ve also knocked myself out wearing it. I heard you are supposed to replace your helmet after you’ve wrecked real bad with it. I’m buying a new one soon. Giro is pretty comfy. Any opinions on the replacing deal?

Posted by Pam | February 12, 2009, 12:20 am
  7. A good friend spent a few days in the hospital with a concussion after a spill on an easy hill–no helmet. She had no idea how it happened and was not doing something beyond her ability but it happens. Her brains are worth it.

Posted by deb | February 17, 2009, 3:27 pm
  8. Honestly my helmet was the most important purchase I’ve ever made.

Warm, dry, safe, and not prone to falling off your head at high speeds. No question!

Posted by VancityAllie | February 20, 2009, 2:50 am
  9. I don’t wear a helmet because I am a primate. Have you ever seen a monkey swinging through the trees wearing a helmet? Wearing helmets only interferes with natural selection.

Posted by Ed | February 23, 2009, 4:03 am
  10. just get used to it. it may not look good or feel good. but it will save your butt in the long run.

Posted by amanda | November 7, 2009, 8:48 am
  11. My helmet’s saved me so many times. My head is as hard as they come, but not hard enough for some of my stacks.

The newer helmets are lighter and more comfortable. I’m using the RED hi-fi at the moment. Ace helmet

Posted by Paul | November 18, 2009, 5:46 pm
  12. I always wear my helmet. Here in California if you hit your head hard enough to go into a seizure the resort staff is required to send you to the hospital. Once at the hospital your driver’s license will be revoked for six months. If you have another seizure in that time period you lose your license for an additional six months. It is just a lot easier to wear a helmet and avoid injuries and the hospital.

Posted by patty | November 20, 2009, 4:27 pm
  13. Update: I love my new Bern Watts helmet. It is light, warm, comfy, and stylin’. Thanks to Chase for all the gear related feedback!

Posted by josh | January 10, 2010, 8:52 pm