Snowboard Gear

The Eyes Have It: A Snowboarding Goggles Discussion

1. I have 2 pairs of Oakleys – Wisdom and Crowbars. Personally, I love them both. I’ve never had issues with fogging issues with either although they’re pretty scratched up with my abuse. Finding replacements for both have been a PITA though.

Posted by Kelvin Kang | January 25, 2009, 5:36 pm
  2. I wear a simple pair of tinted Scott goggles that have always worked pretty well and don’t fog if I wear them correctly.

With that said, they are suboptimal in low and flat light. I really need to find something that is more workable for the end of the day.

Posted by Mark Mascolino | January 25, 2009, 6:30 pm
  3. For my Asian face (lack of a pronounced nose bridge) I found that Dragon Mace’s and IS Type-R’s fit very well. Oakly Wisdoms are okay but not the greatest fit. Wrote more about it here…

Posted by DC | January 25, 2009, 9:34 pm
  4. Oakley A Frame with VR28 lens for bright conditions. Oakley Wisdom with high intensity persimmon for low light. I ski patrol at a north facing hill and the light is flat as hell in the mornings and late in the day. So I wear the Wisdoms to start, switch to the A Frame by around 11am, then back to the Wisdom at around 3pm.

Neither pair fogs if worn right.

Posted by Paul | January 26, 2009, 1:06 am
  5. My first pair of Goggles were some of the lower-end ones from Smith. They were pretty good and did the job but they got scratched and I needed a new pair.

So I got myself some IS Design R-Type goggles. They are pretty good and snowboard specific with vents designed for the sideways stance. The lens was a grey-yellow combination (I think) and at the time I was mostly riding at night so they were good. I still have these goggles as my backup/loan to friends who forgot theirs pair.

Then a couple of years ago I had some extra money and felt like a change so I picked up some Electric EG-1 goggles. The nice thing about them is that they have a dual lens. So there is a mirror on the outside and a rose on the inside. The mirror isn’t too over-powering and I find I can still use them in flat light and even in the dark. Also in the box was a complete second lens that was all rose, I haven’t used it yet but it was a nice touch. The only issue I have with the electrics is that they are a bit tight on the bridge of my nose and pinch the outside of my nostrils a bit. But I just have to shift them around a bit and then they are good.

Posted by Sam MacCutchan | January 26, 2009, 11:16 am
  6. Anon Figment

I’ve had them 4 seasons, haven’t fogged up once until this year…probably because the lens coating is gone…but they are the most comfortable pair i’ve owned.

Posted by Rich | January 30, 2009, 4:56 pm
  7. I’ve got some Von Zippers currently and Spy goggles from before. To be honest, I choose for colour and not so much for function.

The Von Zippers were quite a bit more expensive than the Spy’s and I’m really happy with them. They don’t fog up too much.

Do you wear a helmet? I find helmets fog up goggles way less than toques 🙂

Posted by VancityAllie | February 2, 2009, 4:57 pm
  8. I don’t wear my helmet as often as I should perhaps. I really like the comfort of just the toque. Maybe I need a better and lighter helmet – I guess that’s the next article.

Posted by josh | February 2, 2009, 11:22 pm
  9. I picked up a nice pair of Oakleys over the summer for half off. Before that I had been using cheaper goggles that usually went for $50-60 a pop. The difference in quality with my new Oakleys is amazing. They never fog up or let wind in, where as I always had problems with my cheaper Smith’s, Etc..

Posted by Dan | February 3, 2009, 9:24 am
  10. girl usa

friends usa

Posted by skifderik | February 10, 2009, 8:25 pm
  11. I have used a pair of Spy goggles for over 10 years until this past weekend. They are black with a yellow lens, they ones that curve downward on the top, making you look like you have angry eyebrows. They don’t make that specific model anymore, but I they’re what put Spy on the map.
    Anyway, I got a paid of Spy Zed goggles with a mirrored rose lens and extra persimmon lens last week on sale for relatively cheap($75). I used them at Northstar this past weekend and they were AWESOME! Obviously I have a bias for Spy, but I’ll end by saying I’m very happy with my new goggles.

Posted by Chase | February 23, 2009, 8:28 pm