My ACL Tear and Recovery
How to Prevent an ACL Tear
Maybe I’m just far more cognizant of it than I used to be, but: it seems like everyone is tearing their ACLs these days.
- Tiger Woods.
- Tom Brady.
- That football coach that got run over on the sidelines recently.
- This dude on my ultimate frisbee team.
- Dan Connor from the Carolina Panthers.
- Nate Burleson of the Seattle Seahawks.
What is going on?
It got me thinking: is it possible to prevent ACL tears? According to a litany of articles on the Internet, it is. But how?
- According to a source in this article at First Tracks Online Ski Magazine, focusing on strength and flexibility will help prevent ACL injuries.
- About.com suggests focusing on balance, power and agility will prevent ACL tears. In fact, they reference an entire ACL Injury Prevention Program. Cool.
- FitFAQ.com has the top six exercies to prevent ACL injuries.
- This article at USA today describes how to reduce the likelihood of an injury by 20 to 80 percent. It also features an amazing statistic: “There are an estimated 80,000 annual ACL tears in the USA; 56,000 occur during sports.” Wow.
I can tell you, prior to my tear I certainly wasn’t thinking of prevention at all.